And it’s not just my hearing that I’m trying to save, but also my facial nerve and balance nerve. If I have the tumour removed in Malaysia, I will suffer from facial paralysis, my balance nerve will be sacrificed and I will be deaf in an instant. The House clinic associates are the only doctors in the world familiar with decompression to buy time for my hearing and save me from facial paralysis. But it’s all hopeless now.

*sigh* The government should be focusing on other things, but they don’t. They should send our government doctors for training abroad and alleviate the bloody IPTA admission quota, so more qualified students can pursue medical studies at cost. And when is our Malaysian Ringgit going to increase in value so that surgeries in US won’t cost a bomb for us? Neurofibromatosis is such a dreadful illness.

Categories: Health

Tan Yi Liang · September 2, 2005 at 11:06 pm

But, however, the point is not choice. The point was an attack that came out of the blue, and was uncalled for.

Yvonne does not deserve this. Not now, not ever.

If you have nothing better to do, than try to pick a fight with someone fighting for something worthwhile, please leave.

Please, agree to differ in opinion, and leave.

John Ling · September 2, 2005 at 11:13 pm

This is not about NF or AIDS or all the humanitarian disasters that are happening around the world.

This is about you being rude and insulting a sick girl who is campaigning for a cause. The whole world doesn’t matter if you can’t treat the person in front of you with some dignity.

So, please don’t preach.

Kyels · September 2, 2005 at 11:14 pm

I guess things are getting out of hand and Yvonne doesn’t deserve to be thrashed about.

She is still a human being. A person with emotions, feelings, etc. It’s really childish to thrash her about in the first place.

*sigh*

Victor · September 2, 2005 at 11:31 pm

In our current world, we put our efforts to better this world without hesitation. If we consider choosing 1 or 2, we will become too mindful and in doubt in our right causes. The main thing is just to help whoever and not to categorize them to less needy or needier. It is how much you are willing to give that matters.

You cannot shun away and not be caring for those other people that you term as “less needy” just because there are worse cases to consider. We should live life fighting to protect anyone.

There were even issues where foundations and organizations received so much aid, but could not get it to the needy. The result? The food aid expired and thrown away..

Our hands can only reach that far. We cannot track every single needy person. Whoever is within reach, just lend your strength.

My love for all.. Stay Blessed.

empire23 · September 2, 2005 at 11:31 pm

again, back to square 1, is this any better than begging? She even cited the NPD in her post, and yes, blaming the government, somewhat shifting the burden, she hates handouts, yet she asks for them now. I’d thrash my own mother if she were hypocrite, so, no replies besides the usual GTFO? sigh, yeah blame your medical bills on purchasing power and the government, it all makes sense on how the NDP is interelated, look, i’m no supporter of the NDP and have been blogging about it for a year, but briging it up here is just inane and pointless.

dreamer idiot · September 2, 2005 at 11:47 pm

FINAL WORDS then Lets all LEAVE Yvonne ALONE!

To empire23,

The self-righteous tone you used to condemn Yvonne shows that you are in no way a decent person, and going to slam her efforts of rasing money for herself in fact undermines the so-called superior moral ground you stand on. Yes, the rationale of the need to donate money first to people in Niger and other parts of Africa suffering the plague of AIDS shows your social consciousness, but when you needlessly attacked Yvonne for asking for funds; mind you she did not say that funds should be diverted to her alone and not to people who are greater need than her, in fact you should know for a fact that Yvonne rasies the plight of other people who are unjustly ttreated and people who desperately need help also. Your ‘superior’ moral ground falls apart from your insensitivity to another human being. hence your arrogant attack and violation of a dignity of one individual is not better than trampling on the dignity of others, because the rights of each human to be treated with dignity is applicable for all, even for one’s enemies. Indeed, more people should give to those severely deprived of basic needs (to use your crude analogy, RM 300), but they can also in addition give to Yvonne (RM50), there is nothing in wrong in that at all.

Let me repeat, Yvonne is NOT SHOUTING to the whole world saying I’m in need and help me only, she is saying I’m in need and I need help along with the other people suffering in the world that you should help also. Instead of mauling her feelings mercilessly and accusing the apathy you see in tohers for not caring for the suffering millions in the world, go ahead quit your job and work as a UN volunteer in Malaysia to raise the awareness for Africa, poor Mexicans, Australian Aborigines, AIDS orphan etc. Your anger is so terribly misguided and shows your severe lack of maturity.

Before I end, put yourself into this scenario, if your family member suffers from a terrible disease, and he/she needs a medical procedure to help alleviate her pain and suffering (Clearly you didn’t read that Yvonne’s condiiton cause her pain and disenables her to fucntion normally -deteriorating hearing and if the tumour grows blocks of certain neural function), and you didn;t have the funds for it, would you say to your family emmber, I need to raise money for the sufferings in Africa first before I raise funds for you. That, you foolishly arrogant one, is exactly what you are trying to say – yes, give money to the suffering in Africa and else where but by all means rasie money for your own family member also). [If you don;t understand the family member analogy, I’m totally sorry for you, when calling for the needs of others, you are standing in the family of all men, and Yvonne is no less i that family also]

Stop the evil that you are doing and LEAVE YVONNE ALONE. NOW!

dreamer idiot · September 2, 2005 at 11:51 pm

I’m sorry Yvonne, just ignore all our comments and our insenstivity to you, lyeself included.

Everybody, Let’s leave her, OK.

empire23 · September 3, 2005 at 12:08 am

still have not answered my question about bringing politics into this, but what ever, let the ignorant have their dellusions, i see your point of view and i accept it to a certain degree, now show me, can you spot the flaws in her post? well what ever the fact, i still fail to see the point i raised at the start, why got NDP and govt?

John Ling · September 3, 2005 at 12:25 am

The only flaw is that you are rude. It is her opinion and even if you disagree with it, you should do it in an respectful tone.

Now stop it.

John Ling · September 3, 2005 at 12:29 am

Your self-righteous tone is the problem. Why did you have to jump on her and attack her so viciously?

Whether she is a needy person or a less needy person is entirely beside the point.

The point is this:

You, as an able-bodied person with the right frame of mind, should carry yourself in a manner that is filled with integrity and intelligence.

I recommend that you reexamine the manner in which you delivered your opinion.

I further recommend that you apologise to Yvonne.

John Ling · September 3, 2005 at 12:33 am

You see, you give all sorts of reasons why you are an enlightened human being.

But you do not act enlightened. You were harsh and disrespectful in your opening post. There was little need for such insultive words.

Kyels · September 3, 2005 at 12:35 am

Well, yeah.

Enough said. And this is not about the Government and NDP anymore. This is about Yvonne.

If you’re a man, you should apologise for attacking her for no apparent reason.

And please, leave her alone. No point thrashing her because she didn’t do anything at all.

colbert · September 3, 2005 at 12:42 am

my prayers go with you..

John Ling · September 3, 2005 at 12:43 am

Exactly right.

Look, as an enlightened human being, you should have just laid out your points and explain why you disagree in a respectful manner.

Why go all rowdy?

empire23 · September 3, 2005 at 12:52 am

ok, i apologize for my tone, i’m not exempt from my flaws, so the only point is tone eh? but still, NDP, Govt and buying power, i want an explaination, not all is free, but you live with the consequences of your words, i attacked her, read my first reply for bringing politics into question, then it veered off to emo land. I’m not satified at the way she conducted her posts are you are not satisfied the way i conducted mine. I’ve apologized, now the original questions beckons, i’m not willing to let it die just yet, and yes personally to yvonne, i’d like to apologize, but as a gesture of good will, why don’t you explain your post, your obvious shifting of burden, look you think you’re a government basher? I’m far worse, but i have points, i suggest you show yours now, because i have a strange ire for people that blame their misfortune on inanimate things.

Well what ever the consequences, i’ve learned a few things, and i’m gratefull for that, but in return have you learnt anything?

Yvonne · September 3, 2005 at 1:06 am

empire23 Firstly the NEP and the purchasing power are not related. Just because I did not put them in seperate paragraphs, I confused you. Sorry about that.

What I’m saying is, instead of focusing on projects like the NEP, why don’t they put more efforts in improving our medical facilities? I’m sure you are aware of corruptions and all the NEP hooh haah. This cannot to be solved in one day, I know. But does it hurt to merely suggest?

Secondly, I am saying that with a higher purchasing power, surgeries abroad won’t cause as much. I did not blame the government for the low purchasing power.

And what made you think I’m blaming the government for my illness? That would be ridiculous! Did you not know that my illness is a genetic disorder, and not contagious? I’m merely saying that the government should invest more in medical facilities and better equip our doctors with the expertize they need to treat illnesses, especially Neurofibromatosis. If our neurosurgeons are more exposed and learnt, I won’t have to resort to going overseas. On my last trip to US, I did suggest that my Malaysian surgeon follow along to learn new techniques, but he remarks by saying, “who’s going to bear the cost?” Sometimes, it’s not that doctors don’t want to know more, but they can’t because their profession requires so much of their time, that they cannot afford to seek more knowledge. But with more doctors at government hospitals, they will afford to spare time to hit the books and open up their eyes.

empire23 · September 3, 2005 at 1:39 am

last time i checked the NEP has nothing to do with our medical system, i would like solid numbers behind them, the economic structure that the NEP as based around is specifically designed not to touch public services, they are of different reamls, if you wish to use the fact that money could be channeled for NEP use to public services, i say not so, because the NEP is under economics, not social services, i doubt even with the abultion of NEP would anything change in terms of public services, how much does the NEP cost anywyas? Not much by my estimates and the budget set aside for bumi ed, it’s more of an equality and morals battle grounds, the government doesn actually spend much, except in the NDP’s education sector. Focusing is not what our government has been doing, under the wawasan 2020 plan, the NEP benefits are slowly being retracted instead of increased, it’s just the rambling of digruntled dumbarse bumi politicians, but it is in no way, in effect.

Most of our doctors do have the expertise, the giant gaping hole of logic is that doctors prefer private service, it’s not a matter of the government training them or not, it’s a matter of keeping them here after their tenure is over, like one government doctor in the star cited, doctors these days are lured away by money, more than anything. I don’t think it’s the government’s fault, doctors, although are just as human are after all bound by the hippocratic oath, not money, we should challenge the public stigma on doctors being rich and instead being people who help, like the attitude of most doctor’s i’ve met in the UK under the NHS. It’s an attitude problem mostly.

And as for purchasing power, i have not comment since you cleared it up. Anyways i do regret my conduct in the matter, it’s just a misunderstanding, all cleared up, you know, we all have our flares of anger and passion. Again, i cite my regret on my tone, but my points still stand, Anyway, i do see the points put up by Tan Yi Liang, he did open my eyes some what to your plight, and i respect him for that. But i’d like people to remember, that’s was one of my few points that don’t be creatures of the moment, remember those who have been suffering far longer, they may not have blogs, friends, computers or anything, but remember them each time you donate to any cause to judge it’s worthiness. Partially frustrated that no one takes up their cause.

Well that’s done, again, my apologies, i fully admit to being an unsensitive jackass and prick. I think it would aid you further if you posted an address people could mail cheques to.

PS: Dreamer idiot can shove it.

John Ling · September 3, 2005 at 1:53 am

empire 23,

The government appoints a Malay contractor to handle the importation and delivery of microscopes for a government laboratory.

This contractor does not have the skills to do so, but he cleverly outsources the task to a Chinese businessman. A dishonest arrangement is soon put together.

The government trusts the Malay contractor. $100,000 is allocated for advanced microscopes from Sweden. Unfortunately, the Malay contractor and his Chinese crony decides to cheat, and orders $50,000 worth of microscopes from India instead.

When the microscopes are delivered, they are labelled as Swedish instead of Indian.

The $50,000 is split between the Malay contractor and his crony. Corruption has now damaged the government lab and the general hospital in which the lab is housed.

Multiply this by many times and you will see how the NEP disrupts medical care.

Simple enough to understand?

Yvonne · September 3, 2005 at 2:10 am

empire 23 I have been diagnosed for three whole years. My first surgery was a spine surgery to remove multiple tumours along my spine, that left me with several nerve damages. I was paralysed for a whoile month before I could learn to stand and walk agan. Of the only 2 other NF2 patients I know in Malaysia, one is suffering from Kyphosis after a spine surgery in SJMC and the other girl is now paralysed due to the same type of surgery.

As for the acoustic neuroma, I don’t have to explain further. To the local surgeons, Treating an acoutic neuroma is like seeing dinasour.

Being a patient of Neurofibromatosis, I have all the reason to say our most of our doctors lack experience. Ofcourse, there are always the elite fews out there.

If you say that doctors are after money, I partly agree with you. But I would also like to welcome you to visit our government hospitals. There are a lot of doctors willing to contribute to the society. I know quite a number of local doctors willing to learn more. But their time is so contrained that they can barely do anything else than spend their time in the hospital. But then again, I am not dismissing your point. Some doctors can be very money-minded. So I do my best to avoid private hospitals. After seeing so many doctors, I can actually tell which doctors are genuine and which are not. *sigh*

Yu Ming · September 3, 2005 at 3:17 am

hei, look. yvonne has a condition, and all she’s doing is appeal to whoever she can reach out to to spare a change or 2 for her. Period.

Why go on to debate at ends about the government, or RM 200 donation analogies?

Empire23, please, having a good grasp of greater reasoning and word-play doesn’t warrant any splatter of self-absorbed and sometimes, arrogant standpoints. If you had thought that her pleas were without base, just abstain from donating if that’s what you’ve chosen. Don’t say you will pledge 50 bucks if there was sound reasoning…why? Because of the very same reason you argued…you willingly and sincerely donated each month. Donation because of sound reasoning isn’t the same. Period.

Dead_man, your nick suggests the lack of compassion you proved in your remark. Less needy? Do not segregate when it comes to such topics. They all belong in one, whether they are lacking food, to being paraplegic. I consider it a blessing in itself to have been born normal, and that the majority who were brought into this world thay way should help the not so fortunate, regardless of their plight.

My point here is this. To those who have posted offensive and sometimes spontaneous, ego-fed remarks: As some other bloggers have suggested, just leave if you have nothing nice to say and think her condition doesn’t warrant your money. Having extra moolah to trash around doesn’t give you the liberty of splattering another’s blog with hurtful remarks!!

Yvonne: My best wishes to you. God bless!!

Rebecca · September 3, 2005 at 4:01 am

Sorry but I just cannot even read this dialogue here from you know who. Over the past year and months I have taken a true look at the difference between living with NF2 and other severe altering conditions or death. I don’t mean to break anyone’s spirits here, but I see death as a great sense of freedom. In fact, I am not sure if it is up to me, but I have already chosen the first thing I am going to do when I die.

Some days are really hard but I try my best to live triumphantly and to hold out for my dogs, husband, and others. I have come to realize that my time here is not my own.

Yvonne I really wish the best for you. People who think NF2 is just about deafness haven’t a clue. Heck I would be joyous if that was the only result of NF2. Over the past week it feels as though someone put meat hooks into my chest and pulled on them trying to rip my heart out. I feel guilty for saying such when I know others suffer much worse than I have. What is more agonizing is not knowing what is next or if things will improve or get worse. But that is just me and losing who I was (not talking about deafness).

Never lose hope and don’t let others get you down. Remember the saying “What comes around goes around.” It took me a long time to understand the meaning behind the phrase. Someone who broke my heart long ago made that statement to me and at the time it seemed it that it did not make sense. It took years to understand the full context.

Or if you have seen “Harold and Kumar” I like the quote “The world has a way of unfolding as it should.”

By the way, I have been very impressed by your support and fundraising for other people of need and charities that do not even relate to NF2. Obviously some people only look at the surface and not the entire package.

empire23 · September 3, 2005 at 9:31 am

Replying to John Ling again, cronyism seeping into the medical service, sometimes i question the hate warrated by such a subject, most people assume that this shit happens right under our noses, and maybe it does exist but to flog it into a subject so far from the point is what orignally ticked me off, yes, it has it’s effects, but to think about it, the NEP actively affecting medical services? it’s that lack of rationality that i dislike. No doubt it’s connected, but to draw aline is going to take far longer.

Yes, they’d like to learn. obviously the major problem is, how can you send doctors to learn, when the majority of them have left for higher paying jobs? and the ones that are left shoulder all previous obligations, it’s a sad state, we can’t blame the the government for everything, although honest to god i would love to do so, but it’s more society’s fault, we constantly prod that doctors will be rich, doctors will be respected, doctors will drive fancy cars and all that, seriously nobody to blame but ourselves for this problem, we should challenge the stigma, and make a grassroots difference.

Yvonne · September 3, 2005 at 9:52 am

empire23 I think this is a very interesting topic that we’re talking about. I’m keen to find out the true reason, as to why government service is not favourable. But before I find that out, let me just share with you my observation.

In GHKL, there are probably more than 10 neurosurgeons, but only 2 or 3 are deemed ‘qualified’ to operate on patients. The rest just follow-up with patients, and carry out orders. My surgeon is the head of department (which proves to you how severe NF2 is). And based on what I observed, when a operative surgeon leaves, a more junior doctor will move up in rank and overtake that surgeon’s position, and an even more junior doctor will take up that junior doctor’s position, and so on and so forth. But sometimes, doctors from other government hospitals are called to fill up empty spaces instead.

My point is, they seem to have this weird system whereby, it’s nearly impossible to move up the ladder, unless they seek greener pastures elsewhere.

Faces at the GHKL neurosurgery department changes so often, and I also recall seeing some doctors remaining where they are for years. The system in government hospitals are a lot more different and possibly complicated than we thought it is.

I’m not trying to argue about anything over here, but this is something that we ought to think about. I doubt that the low pay is the only reason why doctors prefer to privatise. If you have any clues, by all means, please share with us.

davidteoh · September 3, 2005 at 9:58 am

um… yvonne,

should we just close the comments and stop paying heed to the apathetic one.

empire23: you are entitled to your free speech, and that is kewl. Sometimes it is good to step out and look at yourself because no matter how intellectual you want to portray yourself to be, everyone here sees it as you being a jackass. Don’t worry about saving Yvonne, try saving yourself first. It is not too late for you! If you know what is good for you, then stop posting and start reflecting on what is ‘charity’ and what ‘true charity’ should be.

As for Yvonne. She is a child of God and she can accomplish anything. This is her journey in life, and at the moment it may seem riddled with setbacks but then again no one knows what the future will hold. What may seem as bad is really the beginning of good, but we can’t see it as yet. This too shall pass.

davidteoh · September 3, 2005 at 10:12 am

About NEP and medical services, I am of the opinion that because of the NEP, our hospitals and medical facilities have been able to reach out to more people. The Government spends a lot of money on improving medical facilities and building new ones. Last year was a hospital year. We had 4 major hospitals completing costing 1/2 a billion ringgit each.

What we lack is human resources for these facilities. That is probably why the NEP failed in some ways. Malaysia suffered a braindrain and continues to do so. We can’t fault the doctors for not coming back, they are probably going well in whatever positions they are in abroad.

But as a third world country, Malaysia is doing quite well in taking care of its people. It isn’t a developed country yet, but our healthcare is definitely top notch when placed next to all our neighbours besides Singapore and Brunei.

dJcarmen · September 3, 2005 at 10:37 am

gawd…there’s too many comments in here for me to say even a single word!!

but seriously…empire23, sometimes donating money is not everything. yea…money is important n seein’ from yvonne’s level, i’ll say its really important. but u’ll have to realised that even if u donate a million dollars…the moral support for a person is way more important. a person that gives up hope would die even though u give the best treatment found…the will power is not there to survive.

i’m not a person that donates…n i’ll be frank bout that. this though doesn’t meant i dont care bout what’s happenin’ around me. because i do not have the cash, i’m using my free time teachin’ kids that do not even know language…

oh yea…stop my crapping now!!

neways…Yvonne, i’ve known u for a few years of my life. n remembered the time when u just got diagnosed??? how ally n I was scared…u’re not alone n will NEVER be alone.

i’m really sure u’ll get through this stage. remember what the fortune teller said??? u’ll get married…u’ll have kids….! don’t give up hope…u’ve hold on to this for so long…just hold on a little longer. god’s lookin’ at u…ur aunt’s lookin’ at u…they wont want someone who give up that fast.

take care alright. if there’s anything, just drop me a line, will get back to u ASAP. love ya gal *hugz n kissez*

Love · September 3, 2005 at 10:38 am

Clearly, the Scriptures reveal that God is able and willing to heal the sickness of His people. “I am the Lord who heals you.� But what happens when sickness continues and healing does not come? God is able to keep us brave when not blithe, aware of His presence even though not abounding with vitality. God does not always heal, and no matter how we may rationalize this fact, we must see there is an element of mystery about the subject of healing. No one knew or has ever been more conscious of the problem of why God does not always deliver us from our afflictions than God’s servant Job. He asked numerous questions of the Almighty but none of them, in fact, was answered. Instead God gave Job something better – a richer and deeper sense of His presence.

Healing may not come, but God’s strength always does…�He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.� And yet more strength…�So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you…�

Dear Yvonne and Rebecca, God may not give you clear answers as to your plight, and whether you will be healed or not. But He will, if you let Him, give you a richer awareness of Himself. Nothing can be more wonderful than that.

Be encouraged, and never lose hope. Take good care, and God bless!

empire23 · September 3, 2005 at 11:58 am

no, donating money is never the absolute answer, so is donating good will and sympathy, good bollicks it’ll do for your sick friend, what we need is concious effort, i believe God doesn’t change the fate of man, lest he tries, there is no diseases that God has not provided for, it’s my belief that effort, not words, change things, to me true charity is sincere effort, i hate it when people bleat charity, yet no raise a finger to do jack, who is the hypocrite here, me? Because if i donate a million dollars and said F U to that person, it doesn’t matter, her illness is cured, my words can do no harm, but my efforts can help. Who is more apethetic here, people who do nothing? or people who put out effort?

On the point of the NEP, Yes obviously the brain drain has taken it’s toll, seriously, i’ve contemplated leaving this place, but i realized i’d be no better than a coward if i didn’t better my lot, that’s the mentality people should have, to put in effort to instigate change, we can’t expect the government to change, but we can, maybe that’s the subconcious point of contention, our mindsets.

Tan Yi Liang · September 3, 2005 at 12:41 pm

empire23 Yes, you are right. Charity doesn’t come without effort. That’s why Yvonne is standing up and admitting her illness to the world. If you have an incurable illness that disfigures you badly because tumours keep growing in your brain, spine, and anywhere else in your body, will you still have the strength to face the world?

Will you be able to pen down your countless surgeries and lay out all the facts about this illness into a book, to spread awareness, just like Yvonne is doing?

In the midst of battling with a rare genetic disorder, will you still have the energy to join events like blogathon to raise money for charity?

With multiple disabilities and about 20 tumours all over your body waiting to be removed, will you still care to appear on TV to talk about your illness to educate the public? Are you willing to use yourself as an example, go under the limelight and ditch dignity, to make a difference in this world?

Just because she is an individual, does not mean she doesn’t need our help. If she gets to maintain her hearing, Yvonne will able to speak about her illness to billiuons of people out there. If her mobility is not affected, she’ll be able to personally help other people in need.

On the other hand, if she’s deaf, she will be dependant on other people to help carry out tasks for her. Her awareness campaigns will become a big challenge.

Empire23, what you fail to see is the outcome of a single charity. Let’s make a comparison. Donating to Yvonne who will reach out to thousands of people suffering in Malaysia, or to a thousand people who might not bother contrributing to society? I’m not saying that we shouldn’t bother donating to such charities, but people like Yvonne requires our attention as well.

Is asking donations for surgery, not a way to helping herself? She could just live in denial, let the tumour eat out her brains and die. Is that what you’re saying? How can she help other people, when she can’t even help herself? Obviously, she needs to maintain her abilities before making a difference in this world.

empire23 · September 3, 2005 at 1:06 pm

Maybe it’s just me, i can’t think of 1 person. But you do put up a few good points in the light of so, maybe your words may change me for the better, maybe not, but i’ll certainly keep them in mind. But i’ve seen countless replies, but that paypal meter is still at zero, apathy hides itself in kind words, just like how that man on the road died, because even though everyone gave their sympathies, none took the effort. It’s many fronts i fight on, but people don’t realize that the way words are projected doesn’t matter it’s the points they hold. I’m angered at many facts, simple ones, like how politics got into this, or the fact that have we forgotten them and even maybe the morality compassion, well i do thank you for not bringing out the GTFO rhetoric and was patient in turn. But still, i’m a pragmatist, and my philosophy is so as unfortunate to most as it may seem.

dJcarmen · September 3, 2005 at 1:24 pm

whats the use of donating if u’re not donating with ur own heart n sincerity?? so what if its cure?? do u think it’ll make the world a happier place with an attitude like that??? do u even think god will appreciate a person like that???

in moral..or even in agama (tasawwur islam that’s it)…we learn to help one another sincerely. not by force…

though..yea its ur money n u use it to donate to others..but doesnt make u a person if u do it just to cure people n that’s it. if u want to do something..do something deep from within the heart…not from money only….it doesn’t mean everything!

Sh@dow · September 3, 2005 at 1:25 pm

Hi Yvonne, sorry to hear about what is happening and am even more sorry that you have to listen to all this argument about one simple issue. Will pray for you continuously. Have faith and be sure of your friends and community to come around when you are in need.

Regarding this issue, the answer is simple. Yvonne is asking for help, whether you donate or not, is your own choice. However, the fact that she has asked for help means that she has done her part, our part is to answer the call for help in whatever means possible, may it be monetary, physical or spiritual. When you consider things such as other people dying overseas, whether AIDS or wars or famines, you are not looking at the person who is directly in front of you needing help. If you see a sick dying person in front of you needing help, asking directly towards you with sincerity for help, would you stand there, think about the other people overseas before you kick him/her away and donate the money elsewhere ? Where is the humanity in that? Wouldn’t you give the money to the person who is asking for it, in front of you right now?

Regarding the choice? My pick is simple, Yvonne. Not because I don’t care about the thousands of people, but because I know one thing, Yvonne is the one in front of me now, asking for help and I won’t step aside and give what help I can elsewhere when someone in front of me is needing it. Besides that, Yvonne is reaching out not only to those with NF, but also to those who do not have NF to raise awareness. We know about AIDS, we know about Wars and Famines, but what many people, including us before we read this blog do not know is NF. To cure or prevent a disease we need to first know about it and people like Yvonne is the kind that would begin that realization among our society.

Please leave me and what I said out of this discussion but that is all I really want or need to say. Yvonne, hope you get well soon, do not let this small boundary stop you, remember that you have friends around you and even in places you have never been before. I will continuously pray for your well being and also for funding. God Bless.

Reta · September 3, 2005 at 5:32 pm

Just shut that dude fucking up. don’t need a pest lurking here.

spot · September 3, 2005 at 7:42 pm

i think everyone needs to stop adding fuel. those of you who mean well, take a deep breath instead of typing another what you perceive as blistering comeback.

there is an obvious disagreement blowing OUT OF CONTROL here and nothing you say will change the other’s mind.

yvonne, i’m sorry to hear of the situation you’re in. do consider other options, ie hospitals, as was earlier suggested. you don’t have to choose those, but at least give yourself the benefit of having done the necessary homework.

LiewCF.com · September 2, 2005 at 11:40 pm

Please Helps Yvonne Foong Medical Fund

Yvonne Foong is suffering from incurable Neurofibromatosis (NF). Now, she needs a big amount of surgery fee. Please make a donation to her medical fund.

YvonneFoong.com » Maybe I shouldn’t have helped myself after all · September 3, 2005 at 10:10 pm

[…] spot @ D-DAY- No free surgery for meReta @ Bilateral Acoustic Neuroma and NF2Reta @ D-DAY- No free surgery for meKyels @ Bilateral Acoustic Neuroma and NF2Sh@dow @ D-DAY- No free surgery for medJcarmen @ D-DAY- No free surgery for meempire23 @ D-DAY- No free surgery for me […]

Rajan Rishyakaran » Blog Archive » Donation call · September 7, 2005 at 3:55 pm

[…] I just found this out about a old friend – Yvonne Foong, who has Neurofibromatosis Type II (look, I didn’t refer for spelling while typing!), and as a result is losing rather rapidly her hearing. This is so heartbreaking, I’m actually fighting back my tears. St. Vincent Medical Centre is unable to cover the cost of my surgery this time because they’re under a new leadership and facing some financial issues. However, the surgery counselor was able to get me a package of US$28,600 for surgery fees and 6 day of hospital stay. But I’ll never be able to raise such an enormous amount. Our Malaysian Ringgit is still so weak! I’m seriously doomed. RM108,000+ for 20 years of my hearing! […]

Jee’s life » Interesting Blogs · September 26, 2005 at 8:13 pm

[…] Learn how you can change a girl’s life… more details here […]