Last Thursday, I went for a follow-up appointment with my eye doctor. Dr. Meena, at Assunta Hospital. Over my damaged and dry right eye, she ran some test my vision and told me that my right eye was doing much better than before but there was oil in my eye. So she changed my medications and taught me how to remove oil from my right eye at night before applying night cream prior to sleeping. I will need to see her again in 2 weeks to evaluate whether the new medications are helping me.
My right feel of vision has improved a lot. Finally, it has! It took us more than a year and trying a whole boxful of medications to see some improvements but it has some more way to go before total recovery. Please pray for my vision to recover.
After seeing Dr. Meena, I went to see my GI Doctor, Dr. Geeta in the same building. I wanted to insert a new PEG tube into my stomach because I have been having more difficulty swallowing than usual. Now, that I will be going for another surgery soon I felt it was time to use PEG tube again Firstly, to strengthen my body for surgery. Secondly, so that the hospital can feed me safely in the ICU and ward after surgery. If food goes into my lungs, the treatment will be very costly both monetarily and physically. It happened to me before in 2013. I had to be given high dose antibiotics and anti-nausea medications until the lung infection cleared. As a result, I was weakened significantly. Surgery to insert the PEG tube was scheduled to take place 2 weeks later.
At the same time, I was feeling disturbed by my gait and leg control problem. In Feb 2017, My neurologist Dr. Raihanah at Assunta Hospital informed me that I had a 4CM tumor at my lumbar spinal cord but there were no symptoms back then so I set it aside. But, while we were busy raising funds for my arms surgery in recent months, difficulty in my lower extremity grew more and more worrisome. I feared to become immobile so I drew my neurosurgeon in the USA, Dr. Lekovic’s attention to this spinal cord tumor. He then evaluated my entire spine MRI from Feb 2017, the lumbar spinal cord tumor was already causing nearly total opacification of the spinal canal. It guesses it must have progressed over the last 9 months since that MRI was done. Dr. Lekovic also highlighted a tumor of concern at my cervical spinal cord which might be causing me bladder problems which I mentioned to him in the same email.
We decided to do 3 surgeries instead of 1 during my upcoming visit to LA due to the seriousness of my lumbar tumor. At the time of writing this post, we are checking with the hospital and doctors involved on how much the other 2 surgeries will cost.
1) Lumbar Spinal Cord
2) Right Arm
3) Cervical Spinal Cord
I want to express my appreciation and gratitude to everyone who has been spreading the words and encouraging people to support my surgery fundraising.