Full name: Foong Ming Niang, Yvonne
Birth Date: June 1986
Hometown: PetalingJaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Highest Education: BSc Psychology (current)
Job: Writer and inspirational speaker
Formal Education Awards
The Malaysian Examination Certificate (SPM)
Cambridge GCE ‘O’ Level for English 1119.
Schools Attended with Merit:
1. Upper Iowa University, Malaysia Program (Spring 2007 – Present)
2. Segi College Subang Jaya ( Spring 2007 – Summer 2009)
3. Life College, (January – August 2006)
4. MSC International College. (January – June 2004)
5. Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Subang Jaya
6. Sekolah Rendah Sri Subang Jaya
1. First Published Book, ‘I’m not sick, just a bit unwell’
2. Short Story Contribution to Sherry Cochran’s Late Deafened Book.
3 Freelance Columnist for The Malay Mail. (May – June ’08)
4. Freelance Columnist for YellowPost (Sept ’06 – May ’08)
5. Freelance contributor to various newspapers and magazines.
6. Contributed short stories to Book Project 2 & Write Out Loud by Karen-Ann Theseira.
7. Full-Time Teacher at LCL SmartLearn Preschool. (Dec ’04 – February ’05)
1. Co-founder of Counseling and Psychology in Malaysia.
2. Editorial contributions for Eden Handicap Service Center.
3. Occasional assistance to help individuals with NF raise funds for medical treatments.
1. Life College Full Scholarship for Diploma-level study.
2. Segi College FULL Scholarship for Degree-level study.
1. F&N Outdo-Yourself-Award 2010
2. Her World, ‘Young Achiever 2008′ award.
3. AYA Dream Malaysia, ‘Most Outstanding Youth of the Year Award.
Past Co-Curricular Activities.
1. Figure Skating ‘SkateAsia 2000′ (with merit)
2. Choir (with merit)
3. Karate: Goshin-Ryu. Brown 4.
4 National Level Web Design Competition (with merit)
5. MSSS State Level Squash Tournament. (with merit)
6. Classical Ballet, The Royal School of Dancing, Grade 6.
Hobbies & Interests:
Feature Writing, Reading, Painting, Community & Social Interactions, Fine Art Appreciation, NF advocacy, Psychology.
Other Non-Academic Achievements:
1. Raised USD 58,600 for surgery by selling custom designed Heart4Hope t-shirts. The funds were used to pay for surgery to remove a brain tumor and purchase the Auditory Brainstem Implant – the only device that could help me with hearing rehabilitation. This has made me the first A.B.I. user in Malaysia.
If this is your first time reading my blog, it’s not surprising to find my medical history a mouthful. In fact, some long-time friends and readers still do not wholly understand my condition.
To make things easier for everyone, here is a list of my medical history and diagnosis.
1. Neurofibromatosis Type 2. (July 2002)
1989 – Strabismus eye surgery for Large Combined Hamartoma
August 2002 – Multiple spine tumor removal
April 2003 – Partial Acoustic Neuroma removal – Brain.
September 2004 – Complete Acoustic Neuroma removal – Brain.
October 2006 – Complete Acoustic Neuroma removal. Auditory Brainstem Implant placement- Brain. Jugular Foramen Meningioma debulked.
November 2008 – Decompression of the right optic nerve, Optic Nerve Sheath Meningioma de-bulking.
March 2009 – Gamma Knife radiosurgery treatment of an Optic Nerve Sheath Meningioma.
May 2009 – Surgical removal of an Olfactory Groove Meningioma.
December 2009 – Surgical removal of a Trigone Meningioma at the brain’s Left Lateral Ventricle. The Contralateral Trancallosal Surgical Approach was used successfully.
August 2010 – Fenestration of the left lateral ventricle and implantation of a ventriculo-peritoneal shunt.
October 2011 – Resection of subcutaneous peripheral nerve sheath tumor – right leg.
September 2012 – Resection of scalp tumor.
November 2012 – Resection of multiple Meningioma from the upper thoracic spine.
April 2013 – Resection of a Radial Nerve Schwannoma from my left upper arm.
1. Optic Nerve Sheath Meningioma.
2. Under-development of left eyeball and retina, causing small optic nerve.
3. Semi facial palsy.
4. Jugular Foramen Meningioma.
5. Multiple brain tumors.
6. Multiple tumors along cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine.
7. Multiple peripheral schwannomas.
8. Absence of VIII cranial nerves – the vestibulocochlear nerves.
9. Usage of the Auditory Brainstem Implant to assist hearing.
Doctors involved in my surgical treatments
1. Neurosurgeon Dr. Ashok Asthagiri M. D. (U.S. National Institute of Neurological Disorder and Stroke)
2. Neurosurgeon Dr. Michael Cirivello M. D. (US. NINDS)
3. Neurosurgeon Dr. Gregory P. Lekovic M.D., Ph. D.(House Clinic)
4. Radiation Oncologist Dr. David Huang M. D. (Good Samaritan Hospital)
5. Neurotologist – Dr. Rick A. Friedman MD. PhD. (House Clinic)
6. Neurosurgeon – Dr. Mark Schwartz MD. (House Clinic)
7. Neurosurgeon – Dr. William E. Hitselberger MD. (House Clinic) (past)
8. Neurosurgeon Mr. Johari Siregar Bin Adnan (past)
Hospitals frequently visited
1. General Hospital Kuala Lumpur (past)
2. Assunta Hospital
3. St. Vincent Medical Center, L.A.
4. Tun Hussein Oon Eye Hospital
5. Good Samaritan Hospital L.A.
6. National Institute of Neurological Disorder and Stroke, United States of America.
1. Profound deafness.
2. Underdeveloped left optic nerve.
3. Low right visual acuity
4. Right central scotoma
5. Poor balance.
6. Semi facial paralysis.
7. Stiff Right Leg.
8. Slight Back Discomfort.